Locomotive "DeWitt Clinton" in 1831

Object Number: 
1975.3
Date: 
1884
Medium: 
Black ink and watercolor on paper, whose verso is printed with a patent license application, laid on card
Dimensions: 
Overall: 11 1/4 x 17 7/8 in. (28.6 x 45.4 cm) mat: 22 x 23 in. ( 55.9 x 58.4 cm )
Marks: 
Inscribed and signed at end of copious inscription at lower right in black ink: "David Matthew."
Inscriptions: 
Inscribed and signed at end of copious inscription at lower right in black ink: "David Matthew."
Description: 
A scene of the various transportation systems associated with the Erie Canal and Mohawk and Hudson Railroad in 1831-32.
Gallery Label: 
The Mohawk and Hudson Railroad Company laid its original seventeen-mile stretch of track between Albany and Schenectady in upstate New York in 1831 and first operated with horse-drawn cars, but the success of the southern railroads with locomotives resulted in the company placing an order in April 1831 for a locomotive with the West Point Foundry Association in New York City. It was given the name De Witt Clinton and was the first used in New York State.
Credit Line: 
Gift of Estate of Hilda R. Williamson
Provenance: 
Collection of Fred E. Williamson, President of New York Central Railroad, 1931-44
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group