Update

Welcome back! New-York Historical is now open for visitors. Book your timed-entry tickets. And reserve separate, timed-entry tickets for our free, outdoor exhibition Hope Wanted in the rear courtyard.

License plate

Object Number: 
2002.1.3480
Date: 
1916-1946
Medium: 
Metal
Dimensions: 
5 7/8 x 2 7/8 x 1/8 in.
Description: 
A bright orange small license plate with blue embossing that reads "Kelly Field/ 1241".
Gallery Label: 

Kelly Air Force Base, the oldest continuously operating flying base in the United States Air Force, is located at the southwestern edge of San Antonio. Capt. Benjamin Foulois, the "father of military aviation," selected the site in November 1916 to expand the activities of the fledgling Aviation Section of the United States Army Signal Corps from Fort Sam Houston. The new airfield was named for Lt. George E. Kelly, who was killed in a crash at Fort Sam Houston on May 10, 1911. He was the first American military aviator to lose his life while piloting a military aircraft. The base was initially called Aviation Camp, then Kelly Field. When the air force achieved autonomy in 1947, the name was changed to Kelly Air Force Base.

Credit Line: 
Gift of Bella C. Landauer
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group