Lead sheath for gunflint excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
Overall: 1 1/8 x 1 in. ( 2.9 x 2.5 cm )
Lead sheath for gunflint excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; flat sheet folded over; one side has a fringed edge.
This sheath was excavated on September 8, 1918 by the Field Exploration Committee at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues, and at 204th St. in Washington Heights. Sheathing gunflints with lead was a common practice among American forces, and was probably adopted to a small degree by British or Hessian forces.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.