Lead fragments (4) excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
largest: 4 1/8 x 3/8 in. ( 10.5 x 1 cm )
Lead fragments excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; three are flat strips; one is narrow and pointed.
These fragments were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues, and at 204th St. in Washington Heights. They were stored with the Reginald Pelham Bolton Collection of Revolutionary War Relics in the Morris-Jumel Mansion. The fragments were fashioned from musket balls; the pointed fragment was probably used as a pencil.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.