Lead fragment (1) excavated at a Revolutionary War camp
Overall: 1 1/2 x 1 in. ( 3.8 x 2.5 cm )
Lead fragment; flat lead strip that has been folded over.
This fragment was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee at a sanitary camp that extended east of Broadway, between 196th and Ellwood Streets. The camp was built in the summer of 1779 to quarantine British and Hessian soldiers infected with a fever that was sweeping through the military camps in Washington Heights.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.