Lantern with portrait of Lincoln and Union Flag.
Tin, glass, paper
Overall: 8 1/2 x 5 3/8 x 5 3/8 in. ( 21.6 x 13.7 x 13.7 cm )
printed: on shield: "UNION" printed: below shield: "ENTERED ACCORDING TO ACT OF CONGRESS IN THE YEAR 1864 BY FRANCIS MORANDI IN THE CLERK'S OFFICE OF THE DISTRICT / COURT OF MASS."
Lantern with domed top with fluted sides on rectangular tin frame with glass panels on all four sides; behind adjacent glass panels are color-printed images of Abraham Lincoln and a red, white, and blue shield inscribed "UNION" with an eagle with outstretched wings perched above it, flags at either side, and cannon below.
According to the accession records, this lantern was used in torchlight parades held during Abraham Lincoln's 1864 presidential campaign.
Holzer, Harold, ed. "Lincoln and New York." New York: The New-York Historical Society and London: Philip Wilson Publishers Ltd., 2009.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.