Key plate excavated at a Revolutionary War military camp in New York City
Overall: 3 5/8 x 2 1/4 x 1/8 in. ( 9.2 x 5.7 x 0.3 cm )
Iron key plate excavated at a military camp in Manhattan; flat and rectangular with large, circular hole pierced in center and small, circular hole at each corner.
This key plate was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, on 171st Street, within the area of a British and Hessian camp between 168th and 171st Streets, west of Broadway. In the summer and fall of 1778, the Hessian Von Donop Regiment occupied the camp upon returning to New York after the British evacuation of Philadelphia. The plate was part of an ammunition chest, or of another supply box.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.