Key excavated at Fort Haldimand
Overall: 2 5/8 x 1 3/8 in. ( 6.7 x 3.5 cm )
Iron key excavated at Fort Haldimand; looped hand grip; cylindrical body with square tab attached at end.
This key was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse pit at Fort Haldimand, a British fort on Carleton Island in the St. Lawrence River in New York, just below the Canadian border. Built in 1779, the fort commanded passage of the river and was retained by the British until its destruction by American forces in 1812. The key was probably used to open barrack or storehouse doors, ammunition and supply chests, or boxes of records and correspondence.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.