Jew's harp excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
Overall: 2 3/4 x 2 1/8 x 1/4 in. ( 7 x 5.4 x 0.6 cm )
Iron Jew's harp excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; lyre-shaped, with wide circular body and two short arms extending from it.
This Jew's harp was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues, and at 204th St. in Washington Heights. Jew's harps were instruments that were held between the lips, and produced tones when a metal strip was tapped with a finger.
Gift of the Washington headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.