Overall: 2 1/4 x 1 x 1/4 in. ( 5.7 x 2.5 x 0.6 cm )
Brass Jew's harp excavated at Fort Haldimand; lyre-shaped; circular body with two arms extending from it.
This Jew's harp was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse pit at Fort Haldimand, a British fort on Carleton Island in the St. Lawrence River in New York, just below the Canadian border. Built in 1779, the fort commanded passage of the river and was retained by the British until its destruction by American forces in 1812. Jew's harps were small instruments that produced tones when held between the lips and tapped with a small metal strip.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.