Jacknife excavated at a Revolutionary War military camp in New York City
Overall: 4 3/4 x 5/8 x 3/8 in. ( 12.1 x 1.6 x 1 cm )
Iron jacknife excavated at a military camp in Manhattan; single-edged blade that pivots on hinge and folds into handle; handle has rounded end.
This knife was found in 1903 by William L. Calver on 168th Street, within the area of a British and Hessian camp that extended between 168th and 171st Streets, west of Broadway. In the summer and fall of 1778, the Hessian Von Donop Regiment occupied the camp upon returning to New York after the British evacuation of Philadelphia. The British 38th Regiment occupied the camp during the summer of 1781.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.