Jacknife excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
Overall: 6 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/4 in. ( 17.1 x 1.9 x 0.6 cm )
Iron and bone jacknife excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; single-edged iron blade which pivots on hinge and folds into curved handle; fragment of bone on handle probably part of hand grip.
This knife was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others prior to the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues and 204th and Academy Streets in Washington Heights. It was stored with the Reginald Pelham Bolton Collection of Revolutionary War Relics in the Morris-Jumel Mansion, at 160th Street and Edgecomb Avenue.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.