Iron plates (6) excavated at Fort Washington
largest: 3 1/2 x 2 1/2 in. ( 8.9 x 6.4 cm )
Iron plates; rectangular with four holes at corners; large hole in center of plate is circular with a small square notch.
These plates were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse pit outside the south ramparts of Fort Washington. Built by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, the fort extended west along 183rd Street from Fort Washington Avenue to Pinehurst Avenue. The fort was captured on November 16, 1776 by British and Hessian forces, and was occupied by them until 1783. The plates may have been mounted on gun racks or on ammunition chests.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.