Iron plates (2) excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
largest: 3 1/2 x 2 1/2 in. ( 8.9 x 6.4 cm )
Iron plates; rectangular with large, circular keyhole in center.
These plates were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee at a sanitary camp that extended east of Broadway, between 196th and Ellwood Streets. The camp was built in the summer of 1779 to quarantine British and Hessian soldiers infected with a fever that was sweeping through the military camps in Washington Heights. The plates may have been mounted on gun racks or on supply chests.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.