Iron objects (2) excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
largest: 6 x 1 1/4 in. ( 15.2 x 3.2 cm )
Iron objects; large, hollow spikes with two flat arms extending from base.
These objects were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee at a Revolutionary War sanitary camp that extended east of Broadway, between 196th and Ellwood Streets. The camp was built in the summer of 1779 to quarantine British and Hessian soldiers infected with a fever that was sweeping through the military camps in Washington Heights. The objects may have been the butt-ends of pikes.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.