Iron fragment found at Fort Tryon
Overall: 2 1/4 x 1/2 in. ( 5.7 x 1.3 cm )
Iron fragment; flat, curved strip.
This iron fragment was found by Mr. Jonas Libbey at Libbey Castle near Fort Tryon. Built by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, the fort extended along 192nd Street at Fort Washington Avenue and functioned as a small, northern extension of Fort Washington. The fort was captured by British and Hessian forces on November 16, 1776, and was named Tryon in honor of the royal governor of New York.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.