Iron fastener excavated at West Point
Overall: 1 1/8 x 1 in. ( 2.9 x 2.5 cm )
Iron fastener excavated at West Point; flat and oval-shaped, with two holes; looped fastener on back.
This fastener was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from Fort Wyllis at West Point, a series of barracks and forts in Orange County, New York built by the Continental Army in 1777. West Point was built to establish American control of the Hudson River, and to protect the Hudson Highlands from attack by the British Army in New York City. The fastener was probably part of a chest or box of supplies or ammunition.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.