Interior of Astor Library, New York City
Black ink over graphite and scratching out on beige card
Overall: 10 1/8 x 6 3/4 in. ( 25.7 x 17.1 cm )
inscriptions: Signed, lower right: E. J. Meeker, N.Y.
Signed and inscribed at lower right in black ink: "E.J. Meeker N.Y."; verso inscribed at center vertically in graphite: "Astor Library"
The Astor Library on Lafayette Place (now Lafayette Street) was erected between 1850 and 1853 and was opened to the public in 1854. The building was enlarged in 1859 and again in 1881 by John Jacob Astor. In 1895 the Astor Library joined with the Lenox Library and the Tilden Foundation to form the present New York Public Library. This view is a study of the interior of the old building.
Purchase, Beekman Family Association Fund
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.