ca. 1736, with alterations ca. 1750
Overall: 2 3/16 x 1 15/16 in. ( 5.5 x 4.9 cm ) Silver Weight: 3 oz (troy) 1 dwt (95 g)
engraved: on obverse: "GEORGE & CAROLINE. KG: & Q: of. Engld." engraved: on reverse: "GANOUSSERACHERI / T'GANIATARECHOC / TSCHIGOCHGOHARONC / RACHWISTONIS / HAJINKONIS / 1750"
Oval cast medal with suspension loop (added later) and wrought chain; obverse central section cast with bust-length portraits of facing monarchs with five-pointed coronet above; cast crossed laurel branches at bottom; denticle edge. Reverse with traces of erased border and later inscription. INSCRIPTION: Obverse engraved along outer section over erasure: "GEORGE & CAROLINE . Kg: & Q: OF ENGLD :" Reverse engraved: "GANOUSSERACHERI / T'GANIATARECHOC / TSCHIGOCHGOHARONC / RACHWISTONIS / HAJINKONIS / 1750"
The origins of this medal were clouded in mystery for several decades. The five Indian names engraved on the reverse of the medal were believed to be the names of Native American warriors. New research has revealed that the inscriptions are actually the Iroquois names of five Moravian missionaries active among the Indians of Pennsylvania and New York in 1750: David Zeisberger, John Joseph Bull, Johann Christopher Pyrlaeus, Christian Henry Rauch, and Anton Schmidt. The missionaries may have presented this object as a passport medal, which would have been used by the recipient to identify his close association with the Moravians and ensure his safe travel through Moravian-friendly territory. The medal was later owned by General Philip Schuyler and was handed down for five generations to the donor.
Gift of Miss Fanny Ogden
PROVENANCE: Original owner uncertain; to Philip Schuyler (1733-1804), who married Catherine Van Rensselaer (1734-1803); to their son John Bradstreet Schuyler (1765-1795), who married Elizabeth Van Rensselaer (1768-1841); to their son Philip Schuyler (1788-1865), who married Grace Hunter (1790-1855); to their daughter Ruth Schuyler (1813-1901), who married Thomas W. Ogden (1810-1901); to their son Walter Ogden (1848-1914); to his cousin Richard Ogden (1851-1922); to his sister Fanny Ogden (1848-1942), the donor.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.