Ice creepers (2) excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
largest: 3 x 1 1/8 in.
Iron ice creepers excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; flat, rectangular body with four short legs; two loops extend from top of body.
These ice creepers were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others prior to the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues and 204th and Academy Streets in Washington Heights. They were stored with the Reginald Pelham Bolton Collection in the Morris-Jumel Mansion, at 160th Street and Edgecomb Avenue. The ice creepers were tied to the bottom of soldiers' shoes or boots.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.