Hose Wagon of the Exempt Firemens Sons of Morrisania, N.Y., ca. 1875
Hand-drawn hose cart. Organization labels painted on various parts of the cart.
This hose cart was used by the Exempt Firemens Sons of Morrisania, an old volunteer fire company in the Melrose district, now in the Bronx. They were affiliated with the Exempt Firemen of Morrisania, who were located in a fire house on 3rd Avenue near 147th Steet (still standing). The exempt Sons Association, incoroprated in 1907, was disbanded in 1940. The hose cart was paraded in the Bronx Borough Day celebration in 1927.