Horseshoe excavated at West Point
Overall: 5 1/4 x 5 x 1/4 in. ( 13.3 x 12.7 x 0.6 cm )
Iron horseshoe excavated at West Point; pierced with six holes.
This horseshoe was excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from Revolutionary War Redoubt Number Four at West Point, a series of barracks and redoubts built in Orange County, New York by the Continental Army in 1777. West Point was built to establish control of the Hudson River. The horse that wore this shoe could have belonged to an officer, a cavalryman, or been used to transport supplies and artillery.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.