Harness buckle fragment excavated at a Revolutionary War military camp in New Yo
Overall: 1 5/8 x 1 3/8 x 1/8 in. ( 4.1 x 3.5 x 0.3 cm )
Iron harness buckle fragment excavated at a military camp in Manhattan.
This buckle was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at 168th Street, within the area of a British and Hessian camp between 168th and 171st Streets, west of Broadway. In the summer and fall of 1778, the Hessian Von Donop Regiment occupied the camp upon returning to New York after the British evacuation of Philadelphia. During the summer of 1781, the British 38th Regiment occupied the camp.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.