Harness buckle excavated at a Revolutionary War military camp in New York City
Overall: 2 5/8 x 3 1/4 x 1/8 in. ( 6.7 x 8.3 x 0.3 cm )
Iron harness buckle excavated at a military camp in Manhattan.
This buckle was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, within the area of a British and Hessian camp between 168th and 171st Streets, west of Broadway. In the summer and fall of 1778, the Hessian Von Donop Regiment occupied the camp upon returning to New York after the British evacuation of Philadelphia. The horse that wore this buckle could have belonged to an officer.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.