Hairpin excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
Overall: 2 1/4 x 3/8 in. ( 5.7 x 1 cm )
Iron hairpin excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; U-shaped.
This hairpin was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others prior to or after the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues and 204th and Academy Streets in Washington Heights. The pin possibly belonged to a soldier's wife or other member of his family, or to another woman living or working in the camp.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.