Overall: 7 3/4 x 4 1/4 in. ( 19.7 x 10.8 cm )
embossed: on rim of base: "THE : ENGINEERS : CLUB : DECEMBER : 9TH : 1907 :" stamped: on rim of base and underside of base: "TIFFANY & CO."
Gilt-bronze goblet with thistle-shaped cup, branch-like stem, and circular foot with leaves at base. Embossed inscription around perimeter of foot: " : THE : ENGINEERS : CLUB : DECEMBER : 9TH : 1907"
Shaped like a thistle to evoke the Scottish ancestry of Andrew Carnegie, this gilt-bronze goblet was one of several made for a dinner on December 9, 1907, celebrating the opening of the new clubhouse built by the Engineers' Club. In attendance were Cornelius Vanderbilt, Henry Clay Frick, Thomas A. Edison, Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens), Rear Admiral George W. Melville, and many other influencial industrial philanthropists and investors. Mark Twain gave a speech in honor of Carnegie, who had donated the money for the twelve-story building located at 32 West 40th Street in New York. Stylistically the goblet is outside of any single tradition; its naturalism recalls that of the middle century, while the roughness inherent in the thistle form and the interest of the surface treatment relates to the Arts and Crafts movement. Made by Tiffany and Company, it also shows the high degree of elegance this company maintained in all of its work, no matter the style. The name of the club, the date of the dinner, and the mark, "TIFFANY & Co" are visible around the base of the goblet.
Purchase, Hoffman Fund
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.