stamped: on obverse: "LONG LIVE THE PRESIDENT" and "GW"
Circular copper coat button stamped along upper edge "LONG LIVE THE PRESIDENT" and stamped "GW" within cross-hatched oval at center; loop shank at center of reverse.
This button and related example 1925.168b are among a group traditionally believed to have been made for George Washington's first and second inaugurations. However, they were probably worn on the uniforms of one of several Philadelphia organizations that sought to honor and preserve Washington's legacy in the early decades of the nineteenth century. These two buttons represent two of the twenty-three patterns for such buttons recorded as of 1996. See Donald L. Fennimore, "Metalwork in Early America" (Winterthur, 1996), p. 353.
Gift of William L. Calver
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024