George Washington Bridge Commemorative Medal
diameter: 3 in. ( 7.6 cm )
Inscription: reverse, in exergue, at left: "KILENYI" Inscription: edge, lower center: "WHITEHEAD - HOAG"
Bronze struck medal with obverse showing George Washington Bridge with New York skyline in the background; legend: "GEORGE WASHINGTON BRIDGE/BUILT AND OWNED BY/THE PORT OF NEW YORK AUTHORITY/DEDICATED 1931." Reverse shows two allegorical female figures, shaking hands and holding palm and laurel branches, against background of topographical map of New York and New Jersey; legend: "A MEMORIAL TO FRIENDLY COOPERATION BETWEEN STATES"; inscription in exergue: "NEW JERSEY - NEW YORK."
The George Washington Bridge opened in 1931 as the longest suspension bridge in the world with a span of 3,500 feet. It was built and maintained by the Port of New York Authority as noted on the medal and provided a route above the Hudson River that connected Fort Lee, New Jersey and 179th street in Manhattan.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.