George Brinton McClellan (1826-1885)
Copper alloy and bronze
Overall: 9 1/2 x 6 1/2 x 3 5/8 in. ( 24.1 x 16.5 x 9.2 cm )
inscribed: on back in pencil: "357" [old N-YHS cat. #]
The bust was made when General McClellan was at the height of his fame as a military commander. It was owned by Robert Todd Lincoln who, the night before he left Harvard to join General Grant's army in Virigina, gave it to Charles Stebbins Fairchild of Cazenovia, New York, the husband of the donor.
Gift of Mrs. Charles Stebbins Fairchild
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.