Overall: 3 x 10 1/8 x 3 1/4 in. ( 7.6 x 25.7 x 8.3 cm )
Wooden gavel with turned handle and perpendicular turned head, mounted on wooden stand.
According to the donor, this gavel and stand were presented to Major Pell by Mr. Albert Almon and Mr. A.D. MacNeill of Glace Bay, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. The gavel and the stand were made with wood from the 64 gun French warship "Le Celebere", which sunk in Louisburg harbor in the siege of 1758. It is not clear when the gavel and stand were constructed.
Gift of Mr. Howland Pell
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024