Overall: 20 x 18 x 50 in. ( 50.8 x 45.7 x 127 cm )
Hammered sheet copper grotesque (a gargoyle that doesn't serve the function of rainwater drainage) in the form of a chimera, or fantastic creature, in the Gothic style, with folded wings, two clawed front feet, and open mouth with fangs; reptilian skin and head with mane, pointed ears, and bulging eyes.
This gargoyle is one of eight from the 24th floor observatory of the 1904 Times Tower. Located in the heart of Times Square, the building was designed by architect Cyrus L.W. Eidlitz. The copper beasts were removed when the building was sold to Allied Chemical in the early 1960s, and only two survive. The Times Tower was The New York Times Company's first home in midtown.
Gift of the New York Times
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.