Game of Golf

Object Number: 
2000.343
Date: 
1896
Medium: 
Cardboard, wood, paper, metal
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1 x 13 1/2 x 15 3/8 in. ( 2.5 x 34.3 x 39.1 cm )
Marks: 
lithographed: on the side of the box: "GAME/ OF/ GOLF"
Description: 
"Game of Golf" board game in a paper covered cardboard box; paper covered gameboard with a flap across the bottom, when lifted reveals storage for a cardboard spinner with a metal arrow and seventeen wooden playing pieces; board chromolithographed with an image of four golfers in the corners and a landscape in the center with a train, a clubhouse and a stream through the center; box cover lithographed with three girls holding golf clubs under the inscription, "GAME/ OF/ GOLF"; directions printed on the underside of the box cover.
Gallery Label: 
Golf was one of only a few sports enjoyed by both men and women at the end of the 19th century. The Saint-Andrews Golf Course, built in 1888 in Hastings-on-Hudson, New York, bills itself as the first golf course in America, although Sarasota, Florida claims precedence with a course laid out in 1886.
Bibliography: 
Hofer, Margaret K. "The Games We Played: The Golden Age of Board & Table Games." New York: Princeton Architectural Press, 2003.
Credit Line: 
The Liman Collection
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group