Framed set of objects (36) excavated at Connecticut Village

Object Number: 
INV.6119.1-36
Date: 
1736-1810
Medium: 
Iron, earthenware, copper, stoneware, glass, pewter, flint, brass
Dimensions: 
largest: 4 1/2 x 1 in. ( 11.4 x 2.5 cm )
Marks: 
stamped: (19), front of coin: "GEORGIVS II REX" ; back of coin: "BRITANNIA/1736" stamped: (20), front of coin: "GEORGIVS III REX" ; back of coin: "BRITANNIA/1787" stamped: (23), front of button: "7" (probably of 7th Connecticut Regiment) stamped: (
Description: 
Five iron spikes and an iron bayonet blade; an iron jacknife with a blade that pivots on hinge and folds into handle; a gunflint; two body fragments of dark-green glass; seven pewter, one iron, and three brass buttons: one pewter button is decorated with swirled lines; brass shoe buckle with a rectangular frame; two copper coins are inscribed on both sides, and have a profile bust of King George on front and a female figure of Britannia on back, leaning on a shield and holding a staff in one hand and a branch in the other; a copper Connecticut coin is inscribed on both sides and has a profile bust of a woman on front and female figure on back, leaning on a shield and holding a staff in one hand and a branch in the other; a gray-salt-glazed stoneware body fragment with cobalt decoration; a creamware rim fragment; red and buff-bodied slipware fragments; and a basaltware body fragment.
Gallery Label: 
These objects were excavated in 1920 by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse dump at Connecticut Village, an American military camp in Putnam County, New York. Connecticut Village was one of several military camps built by the Continental Army in the Hudson Highlands near West Point, and was occupied by Connecticut soldiers during the winter of 1780-1781. The 1787 British half-pence and the 1788 Connecticut penny indicate that the camp was in use after the Revolution.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group