Framed set of military buttons (17)
largest: 1 in. ( 2.5 cm )
stamped: (2), front of button: "3 G" (3rd Guards) stamped: (3), front: "V" (5th Foot, Northumberland Fusiliers, coat button) stamped: (4), front: "CM GDS" (Coldstream Guards) stamped: (5), front: "17" (17th Foot, Leicestershire Regiment, coat) stamp
Pewter or brass military buttons; buttons have the number, emblem, or symbol of their regiment on front; one brass button has an anchor and chain; all other buttons are pewter: one has three feathers above its regiment number; several buttons have crowns above their numbers, and many have roped or wreathed border designs.
These buttons were found by Police Inspector Moses Cortright at British military camps and forts in Washington Heights, Manhattan. The buttons were worn on the uniforms of British privates who garrisoned Washington Heights from the surrender of Fort Washington on November 16, 1776 until evacuation in 1783.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.