Framed set of buttons (48) excavated at British Revolutionary War sites
Brass, bronze, pewter, silver
largest: 1 1/8 in. ( 2.9 cm )
engraved: (20), on back of button: "....OC/...OR . S" (probably maker's name)
Brass, bronze, pewter, or silver buttons; the buttons are disk or dome-shaped; one large button is silver.
These buttons were excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at Fort Washington and at British military camps in Washington Heights. Many of the buttons were probably worn by Hessian soldiers, whose uniform buttons were usually undecorated and unnumbered. British soldiers, whose uniform buttons were numbered by regiment, may also have worn some of these buttons as replacements for lost regulation buttons.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.