Framed set of British military buttons (51) excavated at a British fort
Pewter, brass, gilt, bronze
largest: 3/4 in. ( 1.9 cm )
stamped: (13), on face of button: "ROYAL REG OF ARTILLERY" (Royal Regiment of Artillery) stamped: (14), face: "ROYAL MARINES" stamped: (15-17), face: "ROYAL SAPPERS MINERS" (Royal Sappers and Miners) stamped: (18-27), face: "37" (37th British Regiment)
Pewter, brass, gilt, or bronze buttons excavated at Fort Lennox, a British fort in Quebec, Canada; some are disks of plain pewter or brass; most are pewter, gilt, or bronze disks with the emblem, name, number or symbol of their regiment or corps in the center; many have floral or other border decorations; many have a British crown above their regiment number; one button has a lion and one has an anchor.
These buttons were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee at Fort Lennox, a British fort at Isle aux Noix on the Richelieu River in Quebec, Canada. Built first by the French, the fort was captured and abandoned by American forces in 1775, and rebuilt and expanded by British forces during the Revolution and the War of 1812. The Regiment De Watteville was a British foreign regiment consisting of Spanish, Polish, and others who had a role in the British victory at Maida, Italy in 1806.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.