Bone buttons, button molds, and iron cutting tool; the six molds are flat strips of bone with circular cutouts; twenty-six buttons pierced with holes; cutting tool is flat strip of iron with small point at one end.
These buttons were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse pit at Fort Haldimand, a British fort on Carleton Island in the St. Lawrence River in New York, just below the Canadian border. Built in 1779, the fort commanded passage of the river and was retained by the British until its destruction by American forces in 1812. British or Loyalist soldiers cut the molds from animal bones, and shaped buttons in the molds using the cutting tool.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024