Framed lead pencil excavated at Fort Richmond
Overall: 4 x 3/8 in. ( 10.2 x 1 cm )
Lead pencil; flat, rectangular strip.
This lead pencil was found on September 9, 1928 by William L. Calver at the British fort and campsite at Richmond, Staten Island. The fort was built and occupied by British forces upon their arrival at Staten Island on June 29, 1776, and was garrisoned by British, Hessian, and Loyalist troops until evacuation in 1783. The pencil may have been used by a soldier to write letters, or by an engineer to draft maps or plans.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.