Fragments of tureen (14) excavated at Fort Washington
Overall: 3 x 10 in. ( 7.6 x 25.4 cm )
Porcelain tureen fragments; underglazed blue decoration on exterior and diaper design at base; twelve base and two body fragments.
These tureen fragments were excavated by the Field Exploration Committee from a refuse deposit outside the south ramparts of Fort Washington. Built by the Continental Army in the summer of 1776, the fort extended west along 183rd Street between Fort Washington and Pinehurst Avenues. The fort was captured by British and Hessian forces on November 16, 1776, and was occupied by them until 1783.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.