Fragment of Stuyvesant pear tree w/label
Overall: 5 x 1 1/2 x 1/2 in. ( 12.7 x 3.8 x 1.3 cm )
written: in ink on label: "Piece of the Stuyvesant/ Pear Tree. Brought/ from Holland in 1647/ cut down in 1867."
Irregularly shaped fragment of wood with inscribed label affixed to one side.
According to the note affixed to this fragment, this fragment comes from the pear tree which was brought from Holland as a sapling by Peter Stuyvesant (1592-1672), the last director-general of New Netherland. The tree was planted at Stuyvesant's bouwery, or country estate, at what is now the northeast corner of Third Avenue and 13th Street. The tree stood until February, 1867, when a vehicle collided against it and sent it crashing to the ground.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.