Fragment of the equestrian statue of King George III

Object Number: 
1875.5
Date: 
1770-1776
Medium: 
Lead
Dimensions: 
Overall: 1 x 5 x 4 in. ( 2.5 x 12.7 x 10.2 cm )
Description: 
Fragment of molded lead statue; traces of gilding on one side.
Gallery Label: 
The gilded statue of George III placed at Bowling Green by the British Government was torn from its pedestal by an angry mob just after the signing of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776. Fragments of the statue were transported to Litchfield, CT and made into bullets for the Revolutionary troops. It is believed that Connecticut Loyalists took some of the fragments and hid them in and around their homes. The donor found this one buried on his property
Credit Line: 
Gift of E. B. Coley
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group