Fork excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
Overall: 4 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/2 in. ( 12.1 x 1.9 x 1.3 cm )
Iron and bone fork excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan; bone handle engraved with crisscrossed lines which create diamond pattern.
This fork was found in 1904 by William L. Calver, before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, on Emerson Avenue, near the British camp on the Dyckman farm. It was stored as part of the Reginald Pelham Bolton Collection of Revolutionary War Relics in the Morris-Jumel Mansion, at 160th Street and Edgecomb Avenue in Washington Heights, Manhattan. It belonged to a British or Hessian soldier.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.