Leather, metal, paint
overall (as folded): 18 1/2 x 2 3/4 x 1 5/8 in. ( 47 x 7 x 4.1 cm ) overall (unfolded): 43 3/8 x 2 5/8 x 5/8 in. (
applied: across center: "ASSISTANT" engraved: maker's label, right of lettering: "CAIRNS & BRO / 143 / CRAND ST N.Y." applied: center of belt sleeve: "PFD"
Brown leather fireman's belt painted yellow, with scalloped binding machine sewn around outer edges; applied lettering of leather painted yellow across the center reading "ASSISTANT" set in red recess, flanked on the right by metal maker's tag secured with two metal studs; belt sleeve with red shield shaped recess with painted leather letters, "PFD"; metal buckle secured to one end with leather strap secured with single metal stud, narrow leather strap underneath at the opposite side.
This object was once part of the folk art collection of Elie Nadelman (1882-1946), the avant-garde sculptor. From 1924 to 1934, Nadelman's collection was displayed in his Museum of Folk Arts, located in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. The Historical Society purchased Nadelman's entire collection in 1937.
Purchased from Elie Nadelman, 1937
The Folk Art Collection of Elie Nadelman
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.