Rectangular, black-painted metal sign with "CANAL STREET" stenciled in cream-colored letters on front and back.
This elevated railway sign is probably from the 3rd Avenue line, built in 1878 by the New York Elevated Railway Co. The line was in operation in Manhattan until 1955, and the portion from 149th Street to Gun Hill Road in the Bronx closed in 1973.
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Museum & Library Map
Floor plan & visitor information
New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
at Richard Gilder Way (77th Street)
New York, NY 10024