East Side of Nassau Street, Between Frankfort and Spruce Streets, New York City
Watercolor, black ink, graphite, and gouache on paper
Overall: 12 1/2 x 17 3/4 in. ( 31.8 x 45.1 cm ) mat: 15 7/8 x 21 7/8 in. ( 40.3 x 55.6 cm )
inscriptions: not signed
Inscribed at upper left outside image in graphite: "NASSAU ST. & side from Frankfort to Spruce. / 166 164 162-60 158 156-4"; below image: "as it was 1840-41, except for designation of Tammany Hall as Lovejoy's Hotel, which is incorrect." verso inscribed at center: "The Sun: second site (1836-41). / 'Lovejoy's Hotel' is in error: Lovejoy's Hotel was then, as later, at 34 Park Row, S. corner of Beekman St."
The building at the left is Tammany Hall on the corner of Frankfort and Nassau Street. It was the first permanent "Wigwam" from 1812 to 1867, and was later occupied by the New York Sun. This block front is now occupied by Pace University.
Gift of Mrs. Susie Cruikshank Snyder
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.