Doll's dress: 2 piece brown silk bodice and skirt with red trim
Silk, velvet, linen, glass
Overall (shoulder to hem): 18 1/2 in. (47 cm)
2 piece brown silk doll's dress comprised of skirt with knife pleating and gathering at waist; panels of applied gathered trimming at front edged with red cotton velvet ribbon trim; lined with brown cotton linen. 3/4 length jacket bodice with red silk front placket; interior hook and eye closures, exterior black glass button closures; jacket edged with red cotton velvet ribbon trim and dark brown lace at front placket, 3/4 sleeves and hem; bodice lined with white cotton muslin; unlined gathered bustle back with red velvet bows at sides; edged with blonde lace at neck.
This doll, Helen, her wardrobe and trunk were originally owned by Mary Augusta Colson whose seafaring family roots were in Brooklyn, New York and New England. The doll was purchased for Mary as a favor to Captain Colson by the owner of his ship, Vernon H. Brown in 1876. Mrs. Brown spent weeks with her dressmaker designing the most current fashions for the doll. Mary was later photographed with her doll in Boston, as were successive generations of female descendants, including the donor.
Gift of Marian F. Fraser
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.