Decorative Plaster Ornament from the Biltmore Theatre
frame: 15 x 22 in. ( 38.1 x 55.9 cm ) image: 9 x 18 1/8 in. ( 22.9 x 46 cm )
label: on metal plaque: "BILTMORE THEATRE/RESTORATION CAMPAIGN/OCTOBER 2003"
Architectural fragment from the Biltmore Theatre in Renaissance revival motifs, mounted to board with identifying metal plaque inscribed "BILTMORE THEATRE/RESTORATION CAMPAIGN/OCTOBER 2003"
Designed by architect Herbert J. Krapp and built by Irwin Chanin, the Biltmore Theatre opened on December 7, 1925 and but for a few years remained a venue for theater until arson ravaged the interior in 1987. Restoration was finally undertaken in 1999, and the Biltmore re-opened as the third stage of the Manhattan Threatre Club in October 2003. Shortly after the re-opening, the Manhattan Theatre Club presented this plaque to Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
Gift of the City of New York
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.