Corkscrew fragment excavated at a British Revolutionary War camp
Overall: 2 1/2 x 1 1/4 x 1/4 in. ( 6.4 x 3.2 x 0.6 cm )
Iron corkscrew fragment excavated at the British military camp on the Dyckman farm in Washington Heights, Manhattan.
This corkscrew was excavated by Reginald P. Bolton, William L. Calver, and others before the formation of the Field Exploration Committee in 1918, at the British camp on the Dyckman farm, between Seaman and Payson Avenues, and at 204th St. in Washington Heights. Rum was usually issued to all soldiers as part of their rations; wine was often the personal property of officers. Both rum and wine could be obtained from local taverns, shops, or civilians.
Gift of the Washington Headquarters Association, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1947
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.