'Compass Lamp' lantern
Brass, glass, textile
Overall: 10 1/4 x 6 x 4 1/2 in. ( 26 x 15.2 x 11.4 cm )
inscribed: on case: "COMPASS LAMP/1857 GENERAL Mc DONLAD 1905" molded and raised: on burner: "Simplex"
Sheet brass lamp with semicircular case with clear glass door, hinged, and with a sliding pin catch and circular, compressed orb chimney, interior holds removable semi circular reservoir with loop handle and burner on top; wick extant.
This compass lamp is from the steamboat General McDonald (1851-1905).
The George W. Murdock Collection
The George W. Murdock Collection of Steamboat Artifacts
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.