Collection of straight pins (qty. 8)

Object Number: 
INV.11751a-k
Date: 
1758-1830
Medium: 
Iron, steel
Dimensions: 
overall (largest): 3 1/8 x 4 1/2 x 1/4 in. ( 7.9 x 11.4 x 0.6 cm )
Marks: 
Inscription: handwritten, above pin on a-b: "Pin 1775" Inscription: handwritten, above pins on c-g: "1758 1762 1774" Inscription: handwritten, between pins on h-k: "1830"
Description: 
Collection of eight pins attached to three paper cards, with date inscriptions.
Gallery Label: 

Before the mid-nineteenth century, Americans imported their pins primarily from England. Early pins were hand-forged of two separate parts-a head and a shaft. Beginning in the 1820s, pin making machines, which molded warm brass wire into the shape of a pin, paved the way for mass production of this essential sewing tool.

Credit Line: 
Gift of William Kolby, April 21, 1901
Due to ongoing research, information about this object is subject to change.
Creative: Tronvig Group